Sunday, July 7, 2013

Cold Waters Press Launches!


Hi Everyone, here is the new version of my site, will be like the old page but now with original content. Here's an excerpt from my book,  Kicking Out, enjoy! All rights reserved to Noah Dundas, copyright 2011




                                               Coming Right At Me

“Yaaaarrrppp!”
First time I saw Lucas, he was coming right at me. Sitting on the old wood fence that helped protect tourists from a salt watery grave I was down at our old surfing spot, Sandstones. Back then I was the new kid in town, taller than everyone else.
A giant.
And Lucas, flew up on his old rusted ten speed bike, northwest wind making him go even faster at me, like he belonged. Behind him the red brick lighthouse swayed in the waves of heat coming off the cliff. Down hard on the hand lever for his brake, back tire did a perfect 180 slide. Stopped just inches from the white wall tire of my own bike. Thick cloud of cliff dust flew up and tiny pebbles hit my legs.
Whole thing looked like when you’re surfing and turning hard off the bottom, the nose of your board points you to the top of the wave. You ride the rush of speed up as your board glides you over the curling lip. Throwing your back leg out, you slide back down the face sideways. 
A 180 tail slide is what most people call it.
A “Yaaaarrrpp.” is what Lucas called it.
Way he did it on land was he timed the so that he was coming right at you on the Y, throwing the back tire into a slide for the aaaaa, stopping on the first couple rr’s, dismounting on the R and standing up straight on the last P.
That first day I learned that most things Lucas did, he did them so he own them. Patented and named by Lucas Incorporated. 
Front tire still spinning, Lucas leaned himself up against the fence next to me. Wrapped around most of his forehead was a pair of blade sunglasses. The rectangle shaped mirrors shielded his eyes. In the tinted orange, looking back at me only smaller –there was me. Elijah, used to be Skye Davis. Hippie freak, born on a commune and weaned on spirulina.  When I started school my giant big dad showed me one of his few moments of mercy and let me change my name. I chose Elijah, Jewish prophet, but not because of religion. I liked the story. The ability of the meek to rise above.  Me being the only kid with no mother, raised by the hands that still scare my Benadryl soaked dreams.  I needed a little inspiring.
A breath down past the beat of my heart, inching up my throat.
Lucas not looking at me.  Behind the reflected-me the wharf stretched out long, sucking clouds from an orange tinted sky.
“How’z it Helgie?” the sunglasses said.
Helgie,  Helgz, Gremmie, Grom, Menehunie; all words for younger surfers.  Words that put you in your place.  Lucas’ first words, a raspy insult.
The longness of me. Gorilla-long arms and legs, bare for Lucas to see. Past that fear, I sucked down and blew out a big ocean breath.
“Waves are kinda shitty,” I said, “blown out.” 
The smaller me in the blue wrap-arounds not looking at me.
“Know when low tide is?”  I asked.
His sunglasses searched below. The water -layers of green, gray, and blue- slapped cold against the cliff. Throwing my shoulders back straight, I looked over at Lucas standing. Taller by a fraction of an inch, he had to be a couple years older, part of the younger-but-older-than-me crew.
“Way the water’s still boiling up over Table Rock.” he said. “means the tide’s still too high,”
Lucas pointed about fifteen feet from the cliff where the ocean sent up tiny ripples towards the surface like when you throw a rock into a still lake. The sleeve of his jacket pulled up high on his wrist and I could see that even living this far north, his skin was tan, tanner than my own Casper style, the kind that stays brown even with minimal exposure.
“It’s just starting to drain back out now,” he said, “so low tide ain’t till a couple more hours.”
Typical of North Coast summertime fog days, a few rays of light rained down on our backs. Above Lucas’s sunglasses his black hair was cropped a quarter inch above the scalp with so much gel in it that his hair glowed light back at me.
Still looking straight out to sea.
 “Haven’t seen you around,” Lucas said. “Where you from?”
Pulled the front end of my cruiser up. Let the fat white wall drop to the cliff. Tires bounced dust clouds, a chalky white that floated away in the wind. Breathing in, clouds. Just like me and how I had been most of my life with my parents. Me, salt air blown down the coast. Moved here and there, divided, traded, stolen, switched back and forth. An object to be obtained at the expense of the other. At the expense of me. Blown from here to there, a tumbleweed getting somewhere besides where I've been. On the lookout for somewhere I could stick.
 “Well,” I said, “been livin down in Tola.”
Out on the rocks bare of other sea lions a gigantic sea lion barked. Splashing below, the smaller ones swam in slow moving circles, their fins sticking up sideways, waving to the pelicans diving for lunch.
 The ocean, my one escape from everything. From as far back as its safe to start remembering, the ocean was always there, inviting me to join. A place away from the family that didn't exist. A special world that sheltered me from the pain of the mother that left me alone and the father that hurt.
Where the cliff ends and the cold blue ocean forms a world pulled by the moon.
Safe.
Except for situations like this.
“But we,” my breath in, “moved over here a little while back.”   
Past my adams apple, my heart beat louder with always being the outsider. Heavy beating. It inched its way to my throat Throat so tight I could barely swallow. Parched, in need of water.
The sleeves of my hoodie rode up past the wrists of my too long arms. I pulled long on the sleeves and cleared my heart from my throat.
Sea lions barked louder. My throat heart. In the no talking silence, the piss shit smell of the sea lions was strong. Breathing out, the baked-in smell of no swell for weeks floated in between the space between me looking at Lucas not looking at me. The space where I hoped to stick.
His face a snarl, forehead formed lines that arched triangles of skin above his sunglasses.
“So wha,” Lucas said. “You’re an L.A. alien then. Cuz everything south of here is L.A.!” 
Lucas’ barked words an indictment more than a clarification of facts.
Cruiser back and forth between. My nervous legs. Past the fear of the immediate situation I was busy thinking of what to say.
“Guess so.”
Acid in my stomach. Breathe, something hard to get behind my mumbling words.
 “But we moved over here at the beginning of summer, its just that the waves have been pretty flat, so I haven’t surfed much yet. But,” I lied, “I’ll be going to North Pacific Junior High when school starts up.” 
My gorilla-long arms. Pulled longer on the short of my sleeve. In the tinted orange glare I looked for a reaction.
“Whateve’s,” Lucas said. “Got’s to make tracks.”
Backing up, Lucas turned his ten speed around in the same fashion he dismounted, a clean swift slide out of the back tire. Facing the lighthouse, red chips of paint hung rusty, threatening to abandon the frame slowly until there was nothing left but the flat back tire.
“Maybe,” Lucas said. “I’ll see you in the water.” 
  “Wha brah,” I said. “You going out?” 
The rush of blue against the cliff beat a steady cold rhythm. In the stillness of no waves I searched for a reason to submit myself to the first three stages of hypothermia.
“Naw,” Lucas said. “I got shit to do, but maybe later when pop’s gets off work me and him will go up north.”
Below his orange shield the end of his nose was burned pink under tan with little bits of skin that stuck up crusty white. Below his nose, little black hairs were starting to form a fuzzy black outline around his mouth.
“Listened to the buoys earlier,” he said. “There’s some good sized surf hitting just north of here.”
Sunglasses tilted his head out towards the end of horizon where the forever long ocean, sky and clouds curved back down into the invisible edge of the world. Where everything turns back down into ocean, back down into home.
“See the lines out there, way they’re sweeping past the ends of the bay like that means the swell too west for here,” he said. “So when Pops gets off, me and him will go up north.”
Smile on Lucas’ face, long and wide, cracked like he had just admitted the existence of an exclusive club. But then his smile was gone and he was seriousness delivered in a deep firm voice.
“So as I don’t have to pound you,” Lucas said. “Don’t ever call me brah again, the name’s Stanger, Stanger of the North Bay to you.”
Arm on the railing of the fence, he started rocking back forth like he was going to slingshot himself from the railing.
“Anyways Helgz,” Lucas said turning into the wind, “got’s to make tracks.”
Using both feet he pushed off. After the first few rusted pumps had carried him closer to the lighthouse he looked back over his shoulder towards me.
“Maybe we‘ll swing back by here later and check it,” Lucas said. Pumped a couple times and looked back over his shoulder. “And if you’re still here maybe you‘ll get real lucky and Pops will take you with us.”  
Lucas’s laugh, loud and hollow as the giant bull male sea lion out on the rock. The rusty pumps of his bike rode off into the fog until I couldn’t see or hear him anymore.
Didn’t go out then or later. Didn’t see Lucas, Stanger of the North Bay, either. Foot resting up on the 

stretch of waist-high wood fence, I waited there. Pulse of the ocean overtook me, swaying me back and 

forth as seals waved to pelicans.    

No comments:

Post a Comment